Thursday, November 02, 2006

Slick installs in the GM booth

The designers of the project vehicles in the GM booth are definitely showcasing some cool new ideas for TracVision installation. We're all used to seeing the the TracVision A5 and A7 being visible on the roof rack or mounted to the roof, or even partially embedded like on our Cadillac Escalade show vehicle. However, when I learned that the red Yukon Denali in the GM booth was sporting a TracVision, I was rather perplexed when I got there and didn't see the antenna. There was a big screen in the tailgate showing DIRECTV but no antenna to be seen. Despite the project car information plaque confirming that the vehicle did indeed have a KVH satellite TV dish, I was wondering if the designers had been just a bit rushed at the end and didn't have a chance to get it installed before the show opened. Finally I climbed up onto the vehicle and found out just how wrong I was:

From ground level, the TracVision dome is entirely below the level of the roof rack side rails on this Yukon Denali, making it effectively invisible

Sweet! It's details like this that get cars into the auto makers' displays at shows like this.